Sensors are very Important. What do they do?Randy Mitchell
Sensors are very Important. What do they do? Sensors are by definition devices that measure a physical property and records, indicates, or otherwise responds to it.
- Sensors monitor our health– They monitor our vital signs and alert us to problems. They can be used in hospitals or remotely. They detect the electrical systems of the human body. Brain activity, vital signs, and respiration.
- Sensors/Electrodes are used in Therapy– TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) helps in nerve therapy. EMS (Electrical Muscle Stimulation) provides therapy for muscles that have been damaged.
- Sensors Monitor our Position-GPS allows tracking of prisoners on home release. They also help with elder care, helping locate mentally compromised people when they wander off.
- Sensors Monitor and Control Factory Processes-Many sensitive manufacturing processes are controlled by them.
- Sensors are used in Smart Clothing-Clothing is made of textiles, not wires. It is logical that the “wires” and sensors in smart textiles are often embroidered with highly conductive yarns.
- Sensors Monitor our Vehicles-The many systems of our vehicles are monitored by them. This includes the fuel and oil volume, engine temperature and cabin temperature. They also monitor and control vehicle safety systems, including the braking system, seat belts, and airbags. They measure the air pressure in the tires. They even monitor the position of the vehicle in its lane relative to other vehicles in accident prevention systems. Sensors are used as capacitive switches in many vehicle systems. They can even sense moisture on the windshield and activate wipers! They identify when an accident has occurred, and contact help.
- Sensors Protect Us-They protect us in work situations, picking up the presence of harmful chemicals and smoke in the work environment. They are used as “switches” in triggering security alarm systems when entry or motion is detected.
I’ve mentioned a small number of tasks that these valuable tools perform. The number of uses for them is always increasing. Many of them rely on conductive textiles for detection and transmission of data. V Technical Textiles, Inc. has the world’s largest selection of conductive textiles and notions available for use in your project. Please contact us if we may be of any help to you in your project design.
V Technical Textiles, Inc.
Thanks to ZSK for Embroidered Sensor Vest Photo!
Experience, Research, Dedication, and Commitment